Sunday, September 13, 2009

fiddler on the roof


I've loved this movie since forever and have never ever gotten tired of this . I think till today I have never been able to figure out as to why this movie appeals to me so much . I think that sometimes it is because of it's simplicity or it's very subtle approach to a matter so deep . It's about a a man who's torn between following age old tradition and keeping up with the changing times . The movie centers around a milkman , Tevye (played by Topol beautifully) who's jewish , has 5 daughters and who finds it difficult to make ends meet . The small Jewish community is settled in a hostile environment is a small village in Russia . In spite of the presenting difficulties Tevye's faith in God , his sense of humour and his strength is portrayed in a disarmingly charming way . His cheerful one sided arguments with God is very heartening to watch . My favourite part of the movie was when his eldest daughter is getting married and the classic song 'sunrise sunset' is played . The emotion which is depicted in that scene brings tears to my eyes every time (and i assure you i am in no way an emotional fool) . The manner in which Tevye manages to keep a balance between tradition and changing times is very heart warming to watch . My favourite movie ever and kudos to Norman Jewison for creating one of the most beautiful movies of all times !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment